Sweet and Smoky Braised Brisket
● 4 lb brisket ● Salt and freshly ground pepper ● Olive oil ● 2 onions, thinly sliced ● 6 cloves garlic, sliced ● 1 15 oz can tomato puree or crushed tomatoes ● 1 c. chicken stock ● 2 T red wine vinegar ● ¼ c light brown sugar ● 1 t smoked paprika ● 1 t onion powder
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and season both sides of brisket with salt and pepper.
2. Place a dutch oven or heavy bottomed pan over medium high heat and add 2 T olive oil. Add the brisket and sear, on each side until both sides are golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Add additional 1 T olive oil to pan and saute onions and garlic until soft, about 10 minutes.
4. Whisk together tomato puree, chicken stock, vinegar, brown sugar, salt, and spices in a separate bowl until well incorporated.
5. Replace meat in pan and pour sauce over. Bring to a boil on the stovetop. Cover and place in the oven.
6. Cook for 3 ½ – 4 hours in the oven until the meat is fork tender.
7. Remove pan from oven and transfer meat to a cutting board. Cover loosely with foil and allow meat to rest 10 to 15 minutes.
8. Slice meat against the grain and arrange on a serving platter. Pour desired amount of pan juices and sauce over to serve.