Chef Heather braised some delicious brisket this week to help us Feed our Frontline. Thank you to Sonoma Family Meal for inspiring our kitchen endeavors each week! Who’s barbequing this weekend?! For more information about Sonoma Family Meal, visit sonomafamilymeal.org
Sweet and Smoky Braised Brisket
● 4 lb brisket ● Salt and freshly ground pepper ● Olive oil ● 2 onions, thinly sliced ● 6 cloves garlic, sliced ● 1 15 oz can tomato puree or crushed tomatoes ● 1 c. chicken stock ● 2 T red wine vinegar ● ¼ c light brown sugar ● 1 t smoked paprika ● 1 t onion powder
1. Preheat oven to 325 degrees F and season both sides of brisket with salt and pepper.
2. Place a dutch oven or heavy bottomed pan over medium high heat and add 2 T olive oil. Add the brisket and sear, on each side until both sides are golden brown. Remove from pan and set aside.
3. Add additional 1 T olive oil to pan and saute onions and garlic until soft, about 10 minutes.
4. Whisk together tomato puree, chicken stock, vinegar, brown sugar, salt, and spices in a separate bowl until well incorporated.
5. Replace meat in pan and pour sauce over. Bring to a boil on the stovetop. Cover and place in the oven.
6. Cook for 3 ½ – 4 hours in the oven until the meat is fork tender.
7. Remove pan from oven and transfer meat to a cutting board. Cover loosely with foil and allow meat to rest 10 to 15 minutes.
8. Slice meat against the grain and arrange on a serving platter. Pour desired amount of pan juices and sauce over to serve.