● 1 lb ground turkey
● 1 egg
● 1 small yellow onion, finely chopped
● 2 cloves garlic, minced
● 2 ea carrots, peeled and diced
● 2 stalks celery, diced
● 2 T olive oil
● ¼ c ketchup plus 2 T reserved
● 1 cup bread crumbs or panko
● 1 T BBQ rub (optional)
● Salt and pepper
1. Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
2. Heat 1 T oil in a medium saute pan over high heat. When the oil is hot, add diced onion, carrot, and celery. Reduce heat to medium and cook, stirring until onion is translucent.
3. Add garlic to other vegetables and cook 1-2 minutes more. Remove from heat and allow to cool.
4. In a large bowl, combine all ingredients except the reserved ketchup.
5. Mix thoroughly either with your hands or in a Kitchen Aid mixer with a paddle attachment. When mixed, place a small amount of the meat in a saute pan over medium heat until cooked through. When it has cooled a little, taste it and adjust the seasonings of meat mixture.
6. Line a baking sheet with parchment paper.
7. Transfer the mixture to the baking sheet and form into a log shape, patting until it holds together.
8. Top with the reserved ketchup and bake for about 45 minutes until it reaches an internal temperature of 165 degrees F.
9. Let cool slightly. Slice and serve with mashed potatoes and steamed green beans.