It’s Time for LBC Bake Off: A Community Baking Challenge!
Are you a home baker? Do you love to show off your baking skills? Or just confectionarily adventurous? Great news! It’s time for the LBC Bake Off: A Community Baking Challenge!
Right now, preparations are under way for LBC’s annual Art of Dessert fundraiser on April 15. Local bakeries are designing a confetti of cakes to donate to the cause. Everyone’s in a baking mood! So, grab your oven mitts, get creative, and get in on the action by joining this exciting, at-home baking challenge.
While most people know us for connecting community through the arts, for the thrill and anticipation of Art of Dessert, we’re stepping it up and connecting community through at-home baking. To enter, all you have to do is bake an amazing confection, take a photo of it, post it on social media, and tag it. (See below for details.) Winners will receive a $150 gift certificate toward purchases at the Luther Burbank Center for the Arts.
The community will judge the LBC Bake Off entries in three categories: Young Baker, Home Baker, and Semi-Pro / Pro. Winners will be announced on Saturday, April 8 at 10:00 am on social media.
How to Enter
- Bake a cake, a confection, or any treat that will win over any tough-to-please sweet tooth. You can bake as a family or on your own, just make sure it’s homemade and not from a store.
- Take a photo of your sweet treat.
- Post your photo on your Facebook or Instagram pages, being careful to complete each step of these guidelines:
- Tag us with both the hashtag #LBCBAKEOFF23 and @lbcsoco on Instagram and/or @lutherburbankcenter on Facebook
- IMPORTANT! Make sure your post is public. Otherwise we will not see your submission.
- Include a caption, and tell us the category you’re entering.
- Young Bakers: Creative enthusiasts age 15 and under.
- Home Bakers: Amateur bakers (think Great British Bake Off) older than 15.
- Semi-Pro/Pro: Businesses and experts who are paid to bake.
- One category per post allowed.
- As a safe backup (i.e. not required), you can also submit your bake to us using this form, but it will only be counted if we also find your submission on social media.
- Baking is more fun with friends. Challenge other bakers to join by tagging them when you enter.
- Vote for your favorite confection in all three categories. Voting begins at noon on April 5 and ends at noon on April 7, 2023.
- The Bake Off: Begins on Tuesday, March 21. Photos must be posted on social media by noon, Tuesday, April 4, when the competition ends.
- Voting: From noon, Wednesday, April 5 to noon, Friday, April 7.
- Winners announced: Saturday, April 8, on Facebook and Instagram.
Rules and Fine Print
- Your dessert photo, caption, and tags must be posted to your Facebook and/or Instagram accounts between 12:01 am, Tuesday, March 21, and noon on Tuesday, April 4, to be entered. (That’s two weeks to bake a winning confection.)
- Young Baker: Confections baked and decorated by amateur bakers age 15 and younger. (Baker may accept help if necessary.)
- Home Baker: You bake casually and for fun (not pay) and are older than 15.
- Semi-Pro/Pro: You have a bakery or small business where you are paid to bake.
- Once the entry window has closed, your photo will be submitted to the official voting survey, which will be available to our social media community. Judges will have 2 days to cast their votes.
- Winners will be announced on Facebook and Instagram Sat, April 8, at 10:00 am. (Let’s face it: anyone who bakes for love is a winner, but for this challenge, there can only be three.)
- The competition is all in good fun and based on the honor system. We trust you to be true to the guidelines about when you baked your confection and that you completed it yourself (or with your kids “helping”).
- One entry per person.
- Please only vote once in each category.
About Art of Dessert
Art of Dessert has raised more than $5 million to help support your community’s home for the arts and has helped provide enrichment in the arts to more than 500,000 students in local schools. This annual event is our biggest fundraiser of the year and is integral to continuing LBC’s Education and Community Engagement programs, including new online tools and educational experiences for students, teachers, and parents; a free musical instrument lending library for schools; arts-integrated classroom instruction by LBC teaching artists; and more!
Congratulations to our 2022 LBC Bake-off Winners!
They came. They baked. They decorated. In the end, three “Artists of Dessert” rose to the top among an exuberant showing of Sonoma County confectioners to win the LBC Bake-Off held in March. Congratulations to the LBC Bake-Off 2022 winners (pictured below in order): Susie Cavallo, Young Baker; LeeAnn Mack, Home Baker; and @hospitalityheroine, Semi Pro/Pro.