Winter Lights Art Walk
East Bridge Community Design Competition
Design Challenge Timeline:
- Design submission window is July 7 – August 6
- Submissions must be received by 11:59 pm on Sunday, August 6
- Community voting opens at 10:00 am on Thursday, August 10
- Community voting closes at 11:59 pm on Thursday, August 17
- Winner is announced via social media at 10:00 am on Tuesday, August 22
Email Lauren Peters
Create an elegant and charismatic light art installation for the Northern Lights Art Walk East Bridge at the LBC.
As part of LBC’s Northern Lights Winter Lights Art Walk, we are thrilled to invite talented artists to submit innovative lighting designs for our sculpture garden’s charming walking bridge, which is transformed into enchanting tunnels during our festive winter lights display. This contest offers aspiring artists the chance to leave their mark on our beloved community arts center and captivate visitors with their imaginative and visually stunning designs. We are eager to discover the incredible talent and ingenuity that will illuminate our bridges this year. Join us in spreading winter cheer through art and light!
Winners receive a $500 stipend and a $4000 budget for materials.
How to submit your proposal
- Read over the Design Guidelines and Overview Packet.
- Using the form below, submit a drawing or visual representation of your design
- You will need to provide an overview of your lighting design, including a description of how to execute your design on the bridge and tunnel, and ideas for materials.
- The Design Challenge is for the East Bridge located in the LBC’s Sculpture Garden
- The East Bridge is furthest away from the LBC’s main entrance, and closest to Sutter
- Design must be sturdy and safe (for the safety of the piece, and the safety of the public).
- Design can include the ready-made wire tunnel but it doesn’t have to. (The design packet includes dimensions with and without the tunnel.)
- If you choose not to use the ready-made wire tunnel, your design should have a minimum height clearance of 7ft.
- Design should not interfere with bridge handrails, and entering or exiting the bridge.
- Design should take power sources into account: power is available through extension cords, and comes up from underneath the bridge.
- Design should not have anything hanging below the bridge (the culvert fills with water).
- Design should be non-holiday specific and not religious.
- Design should be family appropriate.
- All lighting included in your design must be plug-in LED lights, with no exceptions
- Design must be able to withstand 2 months outdoors.
- Design will not be monitored other than periodic walkthroughs by LBC staff.
- Your design may need to be modified during installation, or be adjusted slightly based on installation needs – our commitment is to stay true to the design.
- Design will become the property of the Center.
Rules and Fine Print
- Your lighting design needs to be submitted by 11:59 pm on Sunday, July 6.
- Lighting designs can be submitted as an individual or as a group.
- You can submit more than one lighting design.
- Once the entry window has closed, all entries will go through a juried selection process to determine the top three finalists for the community to decide.
- The winning lighting design will be chosen through community voting on social media.
- Winners will be announced on social media at 10:00 am on August 22.
- Design will then become the property of the Center.
- The winner will receive $500 and a materials budget of $4,000. Materials budget is non-transferable and will not be paid out if unused.