Plum Upside-Down Cake Adapted from Bon Appetit Magazine
12 Tbl unsalted butter, room temperature
1 C packed light brown sugar
1 Tbl honey
6 large plums, halved, pitted, each half cut into 6 wedges
1 ½ C all purpose flour
2 tsp baking powder
½ tsp ground cinnamon
¼ tsp salt
1 C sugar
2 large eggs
½ tsp vanilla extract
¼ tsp almond extract
½ C milk
1. Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
2. Stir 6 Tbl butter, brown sugar, and honey in a medium pan over low heat until butter melts and sugar and honey dissolve forming thick, smooth paste. Transfer to 9 inch round cake pan.
3. Arrange plums in concentric circles on top of sauce.
4. Mix flour, baking powder, cinnamon, and salt in a medium bowl.
5. Using electric mixer, beat remaining 6 Tbl butter until light and fluffy. Add sugar and beat until creamy.
6. Add eggs and extracts and beat until fluffy.
7. Add dry ingredients alternately with milk, mixing until just combined.
8. Spoon batter evenly over plums.
9. Bake cake until golden brown and toothpick inserted in center comes out clean. About 1 hour.
10.Transfer to rack and cool in pan 30 minutes.
11.Using knife, cut around pan sides to loosen cake. Place platter on top of cake pan and invert. Place platter on work surface. Let stand 5 minutes. Gently lift off pan. Serve warm with vanilla ice cream.